Re: N-Triples Parser for Python

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 10:07:38AM +0200, Ivan Herman wrote:
> As a user of Python and (at this moment, sorry Sean...) of rdflib, I would
> love to see a Python/RDF environment improve! What I would like to have is
> an RDQL (or should I say these days SPARQL?) layer.
>
> I actually did something on top of RDFLIB, see:
>
> http://www.ivan-herman.net/Python/rdqlDesc.html

Wow; as a DAWG member and an rdflib contributor, I find this very
cool, Ivan. As you know SPARQL is still pretty fluid, but it's great
to see people already thinking about and working on implementations.

There are some other things to say about query and rdflib, too:

First, about 2 years ago now some of us at UMD, including eikeon,
partially completed a port of Uche Ogbuji's path-like RDF query
language, Versa, to rdflib. It's sitting in rdflib's CVS, waiting to
be finished. If anyone's interested.

Second, some others of us at UMD have completed a cwm-clone, which we
call Pychinko, in Python using rdflib; it's anywhere from 3 to 20
times faster than cwm (a rules engine for N3), and we've also
implemented basic conjunctive query using this engine. Eventually,
once SPARQL stabilizes (I suspect this to happen around January), I'll
implement SPARQL on top of Pychinko. Just FYI.

http://www.mindswap.org/~katz/pychinko/

> (there are some other stuffs in rdflibUtils, too, some of them may not be
> really important). I plan to change this utility to be closer to SPARQL
> soon (maybe this week).

Again, very cool.

Best,
Kendall Clark
--
And you have never been in love until you've seen
sunlight thrown over smashed human bone. --Morrissey