Re: peer-to-peer schema models: "Users, not designers, create and communicate meaning."

Hello there :-) while i find the rest of the posting a bit unclear, i'll
give a contribution to the first question.

We have been studying RDF P2P system for quite some time there are
several proposals out there.. but i can confidently say "there is no one
solution"., it depends on your scenario

do you distribute queries around and expect people to be nice and answer
them or should you collect the info "about the things" you're interest
and then do the querying yourself?

This in my opinion could be mapped to tree scenarios

a) Huge databases and or the partecipating peer doesnt really want to
give them out (e.g. library, phone direcory, full geographical databaes)
then the only thing you can do is distribute queries and hope the're
nice enough to answer them. It is anyway a limited mode.. its impossible
to answer specific join queries "give me the books that have an author
in the faculty of .. " if you dont transfer it all to your self or the
remote host doesnt agree to do the join for you.

b) real time queries "do you have this in stock?" ..  as before -->
distributing queries using one of the proposed approache (see edutella
and the subsequent papers, not aware about the availability and ease of
integrating the code) is probably the only thing you can do.

c)  lets together annotate, music, images, ideas, annotations, etc etc
et.. museums, reviews you name it. Generally speaking a "monotonous
scenario" (information never gets deleted.. its reviewed/updated maybe)

In this last scenario we argue that a good idea might be just collect
all the rdf infos that are somehow related to the things you're
interested in and then enjoy a local full speed sustainable (you'r e not
bothering anyone out) .  We believe this has some chances of actually
working "in the wild" for "napsters like" applications, while others are
in fact great  (if not the only way) for the other scenarios mentioned
above.  For this, we developed "RDFGrowth" .  once you specify which
aspect of knwledge you want to learn about.. you'll learn all about it
(that is  "all"  "about" the URIs that some selecting mechanisms pics,
for prcecise definitions refer to the paper.)

One good thing about rdf growth si that.. it works. Its available, its a
small jar. .its used our DBin [1] p2p application (but its less than
alpha right now.. but working on it)  and it sused in other projects as
well  (hyperl.org) to syncronize rdf knowledge among websites.
Using RDFGrowth its a matter of .. importing a jar and and a few lines
of code
Of course we're just counting seconds till the first semantic spammer
comes. RDFGrowth 2 tries to address that.. :-) in fact ideas and
suggestions are very welcome as well as how to integrate this approach
with traditional query routing ones.
Please refer to this presentation [2] and this paper [3].

Ciao ciao :-)

[1] http://www.dbin.org
[2] http://www.dbin.org/twiki/pub/About/WebHome/RDFGrowth.ppt
[3]