Re: SIMILE Store Report

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:00:48 +1000, Andrew Newman wrote:

> >First of all I'd like to thank Lee for the report, it's interesing
> >reading.
> >

> Yes I agree, although it would've been nice to have been involved in the
> process.  One of the reasons why we open sourced our code was to get
> feedback.  I would've like to have had a chance to fix problems with
> Kowari or the way the application was using Kowari.

When the developers are involved its difficult to get a level playing
field. Looking at the numbers I suspect the 3store setup was highly
non-optimal too (mysql cache settings, apache settings and so on). Its
what you get out of the box though.

> I agree, the queries performed can make a huge difference.  For example,
> if something like walk [1] was used to traverse up or down predicates
> (like subClassOf) it would give a vastly different result compared with
> doing it with individual queries.

Does it make any difference if the store is accessed as a service? The
equivalent of walk done via OKBC over HTTP is no faster than RDQL over
HTTP in 3store - its the HTTP bit that eats the milliseconds. The overhead
of translating and optimising the RDQL query is negligable.

OTOH if you use our native library to do remote queries its quicker, but
that would tie you to our API, and I wouldn't encourage people to do that.

- Steve