RE: Representing temporal data in RDF

quads are good for context, like Geoff Chappell did in his RDF Gateway,
a tool I can recommend.

But either you take Richards or Geoff's tool does not change the fact
that you can model the data better. This may not answer your original
question but be more the rdf way:

SEARCH FOR SHIPMENT
===================

You are right that there is temporal data is related to a certain time.
But I think you can define your problem far better:

In RDF, everything has to have an identifier. You are not searching for
a FREIGHTER, you have to search for a SHIPMENT.
The shipment is the actual idea of bringing things with a ship to a
harbor. Most RDF tools support a datetime, so you can use < > = in a
query.

> SELECT ?shipID
> FROM  ((?s rdf:type ship:Shipment),
 	(?s ship:Vessel ?shipID)
> 	(?s ship:destination gps:antwerp),
> 	(?s ship:hasCargo ?cargo),
> 	(?cargo ship:hasItem ?x),
	(?x rdf:type wordNet:aluminiumPipe),
> 	(?s ship:Arrival ?dateA),
> 	(?s ship:Depart ?dateB),
WHERE (?dateA > april2003 and ?dateA < mai2003) or ((?dateB > april2003)
and (dateB < may2003)

(this is some pseudo -RDQL syntax as used by Jena or Sesame)

I assumed some namespaces, to make the example more realistic. In RDF
words are good but uris are far better. A standard organization for
trade may define a URI for an aluminiumPipe and also a URI for all trade
harbors worldwide.
- there is no thing like an "aluminiumPipe", there is
wordNet:AluminiumPipe (I don't know if they have it already, but they
might :o)
- there is no "antwerp" there is "gps:antwerp" or "harbor:antwerp" or
similiar.
- "ship:" is some trading ontology that is used for seabound vessels.

In RDF, really everything may have a URI. every pieve of furniture may
have one, every aluminium pipe of your freight, etc. there is plenty of
space in the uris.
The ship has a uri. The shipment. The order of the merchant, each item
in the order, the merchant as a person, .... everything has a url.

LOOK AT RDF CALENDAR
====================

Have a look at what the RDF Calendar group is doing, Libby Miller and
Dan Connolly:

http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/

they have been chewing on the "duration of an appointment" thing for
quite a while and are experts for temporal stuff. they have solutions.

You should find plenty of test data here. The mailing list archive is
also interesting.

I hope that helps somehow, maybe i missed the question.

greetings
Leo Sauermann
www.gnowsis.com