RE: Representing temporal data in RDF

Hi Geoff,

I'll score one more point for the quad community.  You mention attaching
read/write privileges to context.  For our usage, that would not be
a good choice.  Currently, we have hundreds of contexts within a single
model, and that will become thousands (or more) later on.  That's
because each model contains many many statements about where things
are located temporally and spatially.  Hence, we prefer to attach user access
statements to models rather than contexts.

I mention this because some folks equate the notions of context and
model/graph.  For the reason just mentioned, we consider them to be
quite distinct.  Any system that makes such an assumption would likely
perform very badly on our datasets.  Imagine an RDQL query with a thousand
entries in its FROM list.

Cheers, Bob

At 02:26 PM 9/9/2003 -0400, Geoff Chappell wrote:

>In RDF Gateway's query language[1] your query would look something like:
>
>SELECT ?f USING sometable WHERE {[type] ?f [Freighter]}
>         AND {?c [location] ?f [antwerp]}
>         AND {?c [hasCargo] ?f ?cargo}
>         AND {?c [consistsOf] ?cargo [AluminumPipe]}
>         AND {[beginDate] ?c ?begin}
>         AND {[endDate] ?c ?end}
>         AND DateDiff('s', DATE(?begin), DATE("2003-05-01")) > 0
>         AND DateDiff('s', DATE(?end), DATE("2003-03-31")) < 0
>
>We support quads for the reasons that you list in your email. If no
>context/fourth member is specified, the triple has a null context.
>
>Another handy use for the context.... We support permissioning of
>triples based upon the context. E.g. if a user has read permissions to
>the [ex:A] context but not the [ex:B] and this data exists:
>
>         {[ex:A] [color] [Fido] [Brown]}
>         {[ex:B] [color] [Fido] [Black]}
>
>and the following query is executed by that user:
>
>         SELECT ?c USING mydata WHERE {[color] [Fido] ?c}
>
>Results will be:
>
>?c
>=======
>[Brown]
>

>rgds,
>
>Geoff Chappell
>
>[1] http://www.intellidimension.com

Robert MacGregor
Senior Project Leader
macgregor@isi.edu
Phone: 310/448-8423, Fax:  310/822-6592
Mobile: 310/251-8488

USC Information Sciences Institute
4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292