From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
To: Federico Rozados <frozados@fibertel.com.ar>
Cc: <jena-dev@yahoogroups.com>; <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 2:02 AM
Subject: Re: Why Rdf?

You could indeed do the same thing using servlets and jsp. Or COBOL. Some
reasons why I would use RDF instead:

1. When I want to migrate the project to a new computer/mobile
phone/platform
that has a different server setup I don't need to rewrite my code.

2. When I want to extend the project with some new kind of information I
don't need to write new code for handling most of the extension. For
example,
to extend "foaf" applications to understand what language(s) people speak,
and what their interests are, I simply need to render the extra RDF triples
in a user interface. Passing around RDF means that I don't care what is
inside it.

3. Because it is a data format, not active code, I can decide at any time to
search the data for email addresses coming from Spanish-speaking countries
and suggest that people look at http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemWebSpain - the
spanish Wiki page on RDF. To do this with jsp/servlets I need to write a new
interface to the data, so I need to understand the existing code as well as
the data that is presented.

cheers

Chaals

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Federico Rozados wrote:

>Hello all, how are you?.
>
>I have to develope something to show the usability of RDF, but i couldnīt
>see why rdf i so important or which is the usability of rdf. I think that
we
>could do the same things using java servlets and jsp.
>
>can someone explain me why to use rdf?.
>
>thanks
>federico.

Charles McCathieNevile  http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  tel: +61 409 134