  From: Frank Manola
  To: Richard H. McCullough
  Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org ; David Menendez ; Brian McBride
  Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 7:13 AM
  Subject: Re: subclasses (RDF vocabulary definitions)

  Richard H. McCullough wrote:

  > I don't think intension vs. extension is the issue here; the whole point
  > is that the rdfs:subClassOf property does not rule out the alternative
  > that the two Classes are identical, i.e., subsume the same group of
  > individuals.
  >
  > In reality, intension and extension are inseparable.

  They may be inseparable, but they're different.  And you've addressed
  the first sentence of my reply:

  >     My impression is that the basic problem here is trying to consider
  >     subclass as specifying an intensional rather than an extensional
  >     relationship.

  but not the rest:

  >     In RDFS, a class is a resource that represents the
  >     set of
  >     things which have that class as the value of their rdf:type property.
  >     Given that definition, it certainly could be true that at any given
  >     point, the class Man (i.e., the set of things that have class Man as
  >     the
  >     value of their rdf:type property) could be the same as (have the same
  >     members as) the class Animal (the set of things that have class Animal
  >     as the value of their rdf:type property).  However, there is no
  >     specification that the two classes are (or could be) intensionally
  >     identical.  All the Semantics spec (entailment rdfs9) says is that
  >
  >     Man rdfs:subClassOf Animal
  >     aaa rdf:type Man
  >
  >     entails
  >
  >     aaa rdf:type Animal
  >
  >     It does NOT say that
  >
  >     Man rdfs:subClassOf Animal
  >     aaa rdf:type Animal
  >
  >     entails
  >
  >     aaa rdf:type Man
  >
  >     Could you cast what you see as the problem is these terms?

  To amplify on this a bit, it seems to me that when you say that the
  rdfs:subClassOf property does not rule out the alternative that the two
  Classes are identical, you're effectively saying that it does not rule
  out the entailment, in the above example, that:

        Man rdfs:subClassOf Animal
        aaa rdf:type Animal

        entails

        aaa rdf:type Man

  But RDF does not license that entailment.

  --Frank