Re: Specifing language direction in RDF

Hi

On Fri 01-Mar-2002 at 05:27:01 -0000, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> RDF simply does not support xhtml:dir and trying to get it to do so is
> mistaken.

OK, fair enough, is it OK then not to specify the text direction of
right-to-left languages in RDF files?

> One way to use it successfully though, is with rdf:parseType="Literal".
>
> e.g.
>
>  <dc:title xml:lang="en-gb" rdf:parseType="Literal">
>     <xhtml:span xhtml:dir="ltr">Chris Croome's home page</xhtml:span>
>  </dc:title>
>
> (I don't know xhtml well, and may have made mistakes there).

The XHTML is fine :-)

I've done another test file based on this [1] but it doesn't generate a
triple for the language (or the direction) as is being suggested by the
DCMI [2]:

  http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/ARPServlet?TRIPLES_AND_GRAPH=PRINT_BOTH&ORIENTATION=LR&FORMAT=PNG_EMBED&URI=http://chris.croome.net/dc.ltr4.rdf

In that way that my attempt does:

  http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/ARPServlet?TRIPLES_AND_GRAPH=PRINT_BOTH&ORIENTATION=LR&FORMAT=PNG_EMBED&URI=http://chris.croome.net/dc.ltr2.rdf

(Sorry for long URI's, I couldn't manage to make them any shorter
without breaking them.)

> Running in Jena should get you the necessary namespace in the XML
> literal.  M&S is currently somewhat underspecified. On Tuesday the RDF
> Core decided to use XML Canonicalization in some way to specify that
> the namespace is part of the XML literal in an example such as this. I
> am working on the details.

Sorry you have completly lost me here, and appologies in advance if I'm
asking really stupid questions.

Chris

[1] http://chris.croome.net/dc.ltr4.rdf

[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/2001/11/30/dcq-rdf-xml/#sec4