Re: Disambiguation; keeping the "U" in "URI"

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 10:22:09PM -0600, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> > Mark, can you provide some pointers that clarify the IMHO different use you
> > are discussing in your examples?  i.e. doing the job that I would normally
> > assign to temporary redirects.
>
> The first sentence of its definition says;
>
> "The Content-Location entity-header field MAY be used to supply the
>    resource location for the entity enclosed in the message when that
>    entity is accessible from a location separate from the requested
>    resource's URI."
>
> which isn't specific to content negotiation.  I recall seeing a
> comment someplace that it's presence doesn't indicate content
> negotiation has taken place, but I can't find that now.

Thanks, I did see that, but it didn't immediately bring to my mind
redirections.  It seemed more a bit of general info for the UA or
intermediates.  I didn't even get from it a sense that, say, a browser UA
should update the URL bar with the URI from C-L rather than the requested URL,
which I would think as a requisite action in any redirection scenario.  It
does say that the C-L URI should become the base URI of the document, but this
still seems too weak a stipulation for use in redirections scenarios.

And now, bu mentioning content negotiation, you've caused an even deeper fog
about my head.  I'm also quite sure how to associate C-L with either content
negotiation in general (which I think of as getting a gif or png, as
preferred, from the *same* URL), and redirects from ".../" URIs to
".../index.html" URLs (which seem more to me as general short-cut support than
anything to do with clarifying ambiguity or negotiating content).

--
Uche Ogbuji                           Fourthought, Inc.
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com           http://fourthought.com