RE: RDF ontology for describing reusable software components

Andrei Lopatenko wrote:
> The task of "integration" UML  and traditional conceptual modeling with
> Semantic Web technologies or Knowledge Representation is very big and
seems
> unfeasible, and I think it can be separated in a few parts to be
implemented
> Some of them
> 1 use of Knowledge Representation technologies, especially
> reasoning to  get
> implicit knowledge for UML/ER models or find inconsistencies in models
> - see ICOM project http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/icom/
> 2 re-engineer traditional applications described in UML
> diagrammes into
> Semantic Web ontology based applications to make them "open"
> see UBOT project
> 3 re-use of conceptual modeling practises and methodologies,
> some of which
> are very tested for ontology development
> 4 extend ontology languages to describe behavior or better describe
> integrity rules  + emrbace all levels of modeling epist., conceptual,
> logical, etc in one framework

I've done some work on using XSLT to translate from UML (in XMI format) to
RDF.
The aim is slightly different from those listed above (to extend Andrei's
list):

5. Allow UML to be used in its own right for designing ontologies for
   the Semantic Web (i.e. not just for translating legacy models).  This
   has benefits due to the widespread knowledge of UML and its high degree
   of tool support.

See http://www.semanticweb.org/SWWS/program/full/paper1.pdf for more
information.  The stylesheet is available at
http://nzdis.otago.ac.nz/resources/allprojects.xml#uml-data-binding
(and an updated version will be there in a few weeks).

- Stephen

Stephen Cranefield
Department of Information Science
University of Otago                               Phone: 64 3 479 8083
PO Box 56, Dunedin		                    Fax:   64 3 479 8311
New Zealand	               E-mail: scranefield@infoscience.otago.ac.nz