Re: RDF statements' equivalence.

Thomas B. Passin wrote:

> [NAMESPACES] makes a clear distinction between a URI refernce as used
> for a
> namespace and a URI as used (functionally) as a URI reference:
>
> "[Definition:] URI references which identify namespaces are considered
> identical when they are exactly the same character-for-character. Note
> that
> URI references which are not identical in this sense may in fact be
> functionally equivalent. Examples include URI references which differ
> only
> in case, or which are in external entities which have different effective
> base URIs. "
>
> According to this, there is no contradiction, and the two triples are not
> equivalent.

Resources are identified by a /resource identifier/. A resource
identifier is URI
plus an optional anchor id. We have two different resources here (the
properties, as they
come from different namespaces according to [NAMESPACES]) that are
identified by one
URI plus the anchor id. I think that "is identified" means that there is
(at most) one identified
thing for one identifying thing. Am I wrong?

> However, there is a different problem lurking here.  According to
> [URI], a
> "URI Reference"  by definition means what you have after the fragment
> identifier has been removed.  Therefore, by definition,
> http://www.foo.com/ns#p1 cannot be a URI reference!  In fact, the RDF M&S
> refers to URI plus optional anchor id, not to URI reference.
>
> So [NAMESPACES] uses URI references, and RDF uses URI+fragment
> identifier.
> Hmm, what to do?

URI reference can contain a fragment identifier.
 From [URI]:

A URI reference may be absolute or relative,
and may have additional information attached in the form of a
fragment identifier.  However, "the URI" that results from such a
reference includes only the absolute URI after the fragment
identifier (if any) is removed and after any relative URI is resolved
to its absolute form.

URI-reference = [ absoluteURI | relativeURI ] [ "#" fragment ]

Dan Pokorny