Re: N3 contexts vs RDF reification

Meta-meta-data is fine. [Given Pat's 'metatadata' I was remembering the
Lisp constructs: car, caar, cdr, cadr, etc. Ah, times past.] I agee with
Pat's rendition of higher-order, though I would point out that sometimes
you can used restricted quantification to bound the types you range
over.

One way to view all this meta level talk is that every level (but the
very top and the very bottom) is both a meta and an object level, a meta
level to the level immediately below it and an object level to the level
immediately above it.

Example:
0. Language of First Order Logic + Arithmetic (aside: maybe set theory
is this level's meta level)
1. Language of Knowledge/Modeling Primitives: Class/Concept, Attribute,
Relation, Property, Value, etc.
2. Actual Concept Models/Ontologies: WebPage (isa Class/Concept,
Contains (isa Relation between 2 Classes/Concepts), etc.

(1) is the object level of (0) but the meta level of (2).

Leo

Lee Jonas wrote:

> pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:
>
> >>Though presumably I could more generally call it "meta-metadata" - the
> first
> >>layer of statements represent data about data (metadata) - the next layer
> is
> >>considered to be data about metadata (meta-metadata), ad nauseam.
> >
> >We need a new term. How about metatadata?
> >

> I have not just invented the term meta-metadata, if that is what you are
> implying.  The Object Management Group have been using the term for over a
> year now.
>
> IMHO, the OMG has produced some top quality specifications based on some top
> quality ideas.  The XML family of technologies, esp. X-Protocol, RDF, UDDI,
> ebXML, etc would gain alot from familiarising themselves with some of these
> specs.
>
> XML with HTTP technology has two key advantages over CORBA, simplicity and
> HTTP clients & servers are already pervasive.  However, I do sometimes feel
> that XML technologies lag behind and tend to re-invent the wheel because the
> creators are unaware that the issues have already been addressed elsewhere.
>
> Lee

Dr. Leo Obrst           The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@mitre.org Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770     1820 Dolley Madison Blvd., M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102, USA