Re: Form Post from Firefox

Frank Manola wrote:

> Just to clarify things, I don't think there are "RDF specs" and "RDF
> syntax" affected other than RDF/XML are there?

Correct

> --Frank
>
> Dan Brickley wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> I'm redirecting this from www-rdf-validator to www-rdf-comments
>> so it'll get picked up by any new work on the RDF specs, since your
>> issue seems to be more to do with the RDF syntax than the W3C
>> validation service. (except for the PNG thing...)
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> * Andrew Houghton <houghton@bright.net> [2006-04-30 10:54-0400]
>>> report=The validator considers attributes in the xsi namespace on the
>>> RDF/XML document element to be properties, rather than ignoring them as
>>> properties, as it does with attributes in the xml namespace.
>>>
>>> By not ignoring attributes in the xsi namespace you are not able to
>>> assign
>>> an XML schema to an RDF/XML instance document.  While assigning an XML
>>> schema is not necessary for RDF/XML you may wish to restrict the
>>> structre
>>> and what elements are valid when creating an instance of your metadata.

You can fully use W3C XML Schema (WXS) without having to decorate the
instance with the URI of the schema document.  Other XML schema languages
don't need it.

>>> BTW, the visual graph (PNG embedded) was working, but then it abruptly
>>> stopped working, saying empty graph file.
>>>
>>> RDF=<?xml version="1.0">
>>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>>> <rdf:RDF
>>>   xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>>>   xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
>>>   xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>>>   xml:base="urn:my-base:"
>>>   xml:lang="en"
>>>   xsi:schemaLocation="urn:my-rdf-instance my-rdf-instance.xsd"

This line does make this example illegal RDF/XML.  Any RDF validator should
reject this document.

>>>   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/">
>>>     <dc:title>World Wide Web Consortium</dc:title>   </rdf:Description>
>>> </rdf:RDF>

As I recall it, RDF Core considered allowing extra things on the rdf:RDF
element but decided to go with a strict syntax, rather than add loopholes
here (having learnt the lesson from the first RDF/XML definition).

Dave