Re: property attributes on parseType="Resource" ?

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 03:21:16 +0100 (CET), Markus Sabadello <saba@cg.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To me the RDF/XML syntax specification (chapters 2.5 and 2.11) seems to be
> contradictory on whether property attributes are allowed on
> parseType="Resource" property-and-node elements.

Yes, it is contradictory:

  "This abbreviation is known as a Property Attribute and can be applied
  to any node element or with the rdf:parseType="Resource" form (see
  Section 2.11)."
  -- 2.5 Property Attributes
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20031010/#section-Syntax-property-attributes

  "Property attributes and the rdf:nodeID attribute are not permitted
  on property-and-node elements.
  -- 2.11 Omitting Blank Nodes: rdf:parseType="Resource"
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20031010/#section-Syntax-parsetype-resource

The start of section 2 notes that
  "This section introduces the RDF/XML syntax, describes how it
  encodes RDF graphs and explains this with examples. If there is any
  conflict between this informal description and the formal
  description of the syntax and grammar in sections 6 Syntax Data
  Model and 7 RDF/XML Grammar, the latter two sections take
  precedence."
  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20031010/#section-Syntax

In this case, there is an error and the grammar section
  7.2.18 Production parseTypeResourcePropertyElt
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20031010/#parseTypeResourcePropertyElt

shows that no such property attributes are allowed.

Therefore the wording in section 2.5 is in error and we will make an
editorial change to that section in the next version of this document
to something like the following:

  "This abbreviation is known as a Property Attribute and can be applied
  to any node element but not with the rdf:parseType="Resource" form (see
  Section 2.11)."

> The W3C validator apparently doesnt allow them. As far as I understand the
> grammar and productions, they dont seem to allow them either.
>
> So I guess there are mistakes in the spec chapters 2.5 / 2.11 ?
>
> -Markus Sabadello
> (saba@cg.tuwien.ac.at)
>
> ---------------
>
> Example:
>
> 1: <?xml version="1.0"?>
> 2: <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
> 3:   xmlns:my="http://mytest.org/">
> 4:   <rdf:Description>
> 5:     <my:test rdf:parseType="Resource" my:one="1">
> 6:       <my:two>2</my:two>
> 7:     </my:test>
> 8:   </rdf:Description>
> 9: </rdf:RDF>
> 10:
>
> ---------------
>
> Error Messages from the W3C validator:
>
> Error: {E201} Syntax error when processing property attributes. Cannot have
> property attributes with the following other attributes:
> rdf:parseType=&apos;Resource&apos;[Line = 5, Column = 50]

Yes, that's correct to flag as an error.

Thank you for your feedback.

Markus, in order to formally close this comment on the RDF specs, can
you please reply, copying www-rdf-comments@w3.org whether this
response is an acceptable disposition of your comment.

Dave