From: Frank Manola [mailto:fmanola@acm.org]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 11:11
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: Internal DTD Examples Invalidate the RDF/XML Documents

[ ... ]

However, all that notwithstanding, I've taken an editorial action to try
to make this more explicit in the Primer.  What I propose to do is:

a.  In the example in section 3 where entities are first introduced,
briefly note that the use of a document type declaration here is just to
declare entities (and not to provide a complete syntactic specification
for RDF/XML), that the use of entities (and document type declarations)
is optional, and that this does *not* mean that RDF/XML can be validated
by a validating XML processor.  And then point the reader to Appendix B.

b.  In Appendix B, get into somewhat more detail (but not much);  in
particular, briefly mention the difference between well-formed and valid
XML, note that RDF/XML only has to be well-formed, that for various
reasons (not just the QName point you mentioned) it's hard to write a
DTD for full RDF/XML, and hence XML validation is generally not expected.

Does that make sense?

--Frank

> Meanwhile, I think I need to look at XML 1.0 and 1.1 more carefully and see whether this is a conversation that I should take up on an XML list. I will also look at the WS-I work to see if this kind of disconnect is a concern or not in the profiles for interoperability.

[ ... ]
> -- Dennis.
[ ... ]