Re: Internal DTD Examples Invalidate the RDF/XML Documents

Hi Dennis--

The use of internal DTD subsets in these Primer examples was merely to
illustrate the use of entities as an abbreviation mechanism.  It
*wasn't* intended to suggest that ordinary XML validation should be
applied to RDF/XML.  RDF/XML requires that the XML be well-formed, but
it doesn't require that the XML be valid, and ordinary RDF/XML parsers
and validators don't use DTDs or XML Schemas to do XML validation on the
RDF/XML (the Primer examples are valid RDF/XML according to the W3C RDF
validator).  Moreover, it's perfectly OK to use internal DTD subsets to
define entities in XML you don't intend to validate (there's a
well-formedness constraint in the XML spec that covers this situation)
and, technically, RDF/XML *without* a document type declaration isn't
valid, so it isn't exactly the introduction of an internal DTD subset
that causes the RDF/XML to be invalid.

It's been known for some time that the current grammar of RDF/XML isn't
amenable to description in a DTD (or an XML Schema).  Producing such a
grammar was considered by the RDF Core WG, but it was decided that the
changes would be so extensive as to be outside the current WG's charter.
    This has been added to the RDF Core postponed issues list at:

http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-validating-embedded-rdf

We also received related Last Call comments on this subject labeled as
xmlsch-10 and xmlsch-12, which can be found at
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/

Do you feel this issue needs additional discussion (in the Primer or
some other RDF spec)?

--Frank