Re: pfps-04

>From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: Re: pfps-04
>Date: 24 Jul 2003 15:53:39 +0100
>
>>  On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 23:03, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>
>>  [...]
>>
>>  > Therefore for the RDF entailment rules to be complete, no XML Literal can
>>  > have a character string as its denotation.
>>
>>  Right.  The denotation of an XML Literal is an octet sequence, as
>>  defined by the xml canonicalization spec, see the note in:
>>

>>http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-concepts-20030117/#section-XMLLiteral
>
>Unfortunately this does not answer the question.  Octet sequence is
>undefined in http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xml-exc-c14n-20020718/.  At
>least some places in this document appear to indicate that an octet
>sequence is just a sequence of (Unicode?) characters.  (See for example,
>the example in Section 2.2 of ``the Canonical XML version of elem2 from the
>second case''.)  Also, the phrase ``exclusive canonical XML refers to XML
>that is in exclusive canonical form'' appears to indicate that exclusive
>canonical XML is a subset of XML, again indicating that octets should
>probably be a restricted form of (Unicode?) characters.
>
>Following pointers leads to
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315, where the canonical form
>of an XML document is a physical representation of the document encoded in
>UTF-8, and talks about octets encoding various kinds of characters.  This
>doesn't help matters too much.
>
>So the question boils down to whether octets and Unicode characters are
>disjoint.

You seem to have reached the conclusion I had
come to, viz. that this question is indeterminate
and hence beyond the ability of the RDF spec to
resolve. Hence the 'agnosticism' comment.

Pat

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell