  From: Massimo Marchiori
  To: Brian McBride ; Bob MacGregor ; seth@robustai.net ; Dave Reynolds
  Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org ; www-rdf-interest@w3.org
  Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 4:11 AM
  Subject: RE: [jena-dev] Re: Use cases for Reification in RDF Triplestores

  Contravening to the first rule "read all the RDF specs 101% before speaking", which I didn't have time to do, a quick interjection:
  I found the whole discussion rather confusing, in that I don't see any problem with the way the wg acted with reification. But maybe
  I'm just not getting the core of the issue so pls somebody elucidate me if I'm wrong.
  I've always been one of the n.1 defenders of reification, and from what I see, "support for reification" is exactly the same as it
  was in the pre-MT era: the possibility to reify is there (syntactically in the graph), but there's no semantics for it (yet).
  And this seems a perfectly reasonable choice: of course reifications can have lot of uses, but they all go beyond first order logic
  (and its easy neighbours). So the moment RDF core decided to put in place some minimal semantics ("first-order like", so to say),
  reification just stays out from the semantic rules.
  I had built an alternate (= different from the current MT) first-order semantics for RDF back in 1999, and even there, although I
  like reification a lot (and, exactly like Bob, see lot of uses for it), for the sake of simplicity I just left reification out of
  the primary semantics, exactly like RDF-core is doing now.

  So again, where's the problem? The current MT gives a basic first-order-like semantics. Possible semantic rules for reification are
  higher-order (or better, just say "meta").
  Ergo, these rules just stay out of this basic RDF MT semantics.
  The important thing is, when someone (or rdf-logic in the future) will like to build more sophisticated tool, they could take
  reification and put some semantic rule for it.
  But doing it now would go against the 80/20 rule, and make a basic semantics just too complex for the added value.
  No? Is here something new that I am missing (see 101% above ;) ?

  Thanks,
  -M