Re: strange treatment of namespaces in RDF/XML

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:59:56 -0400 (EDT)
"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> The example should be
>
> So
> 	... xmlns:xm = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namesp"
> 	.. <xm:acehi ... /> ...
> is legal, as is

Yes - legal in any namespaced XML and RDF/XML.

> 	... xmlns:xmx = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
> 	.. <xmx:hi ... /> ...

No.  Because if you use the xml namespace name (URI),
you must use the prefix 'xml' and you are not allowed to
declare any other prefix for that namespace name.
In addition, 'xml' is always predefined with this namespace name.

This is all in the XML and Namespaces in XML specifications
not in RDF/XML, you should read those documents fully.

> but
> 	... xmlns:xmxx = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespaceh"
> is not.

I'll get back to you on this one.  I think (can't confirm now)
it is just unwise since it could look like creating new xml
reserved names if serialised badly.

However encoding such design advice may be over
strong and we could move that to the serializing section.
I will investigate further if this is the case.

Dave