Re: [closed] Re: buglet in syntax / test cases

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [closed] Re: buglet in syntax / test cases
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:13:31 +0100

> On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 08:04:33 -0400 (EDT)
> "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:

[...]

> As for element names starting with these letters, I will ask the RDF
> Core working group if it wants to do something about them such
> as ignoring them, after the existing decision to ignore the
> unrecognised attributes recorded in item 12
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Jan/0152.html
>
> I doubt very much if you will find many other specifications based on
> XML that bother to re-iterate this XML detail again.  They assume you
> follow the normative references to the XML specifications and know
> that they reserve some names.  I'm pretty sure they don't tell you
> what to do with known or unknown xml* names in their documents.
>
> Dave

The issue is that RDF/XML mandates special treatment of certain items in
an XML info set, namely attributes of a certain form.  There is no
justification for this special treatment.

It appears that the special treatment is related to the notion of reserved
names in XML, but the RDF special treatment does not match the notion of
XML reserved names.

If the justification for the special treatment is to remove XML reserved
names from the resultant RDF graph, then the treatment should be adjusted
to match the XML treatment, *and* the rationale should be mentioned.  If
the justification is something else, then this rationale should be
mentioned and defended.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research
Lucent Technologies