Re: [closed] issue #pfps-07 typed literals with lang tags

>From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>Subject: [closed] issue #pfps-07 typed literals with lang tags
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:06:56 -0500
>
>>  Peter,
>>
>>  In
>>
>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0088.html
>>
>>  you raised a last call comment on the RDFCore WD's which was recorded as:
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#pfps-07
>>
>>  The RDFCore WG has accepted your comment:
>>
>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Apr/0361.html
>>
>>  and the wording of the current editor's draft of the semantics document
>>
>  > http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/
>>
>>  incorporates conditions and rules for the case you describe.
>>
>>  Please reply to this message, copying www-rdf-comments@w3.org,
>>  indicating whether this decision is acceptable.
>>
>>  Pat Hayes
>
>This message is extraordinarily cryptic.
>
>I would appreciate some indication of just what has been done to address
>whatever concern I had here.

OK.

The omission of this case (non-XML typed literals containing lang
tags) from the last call document was a editorial mistake. Putting
this case back in has necessitated making changes to the semantic
conditions and to the closure rules to cover this case.

The semantic conditions have been altered so that lang tags  in
non-XML typed literals are required to not influence the
interpretation of the literal, ie they are effectively ignored by the
semantics.  (Section 3.1,
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#rdfinterp)

The closure rules (see
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#rdf_entail )
now include two rules which sanction the removal, insertion or
replacement of lang tags in any non-XML typed literal. There is a
comment in the subsequent text to the effect that it would be
computationally more efficient to simply strip out lang tags from all
non-XML literals as a syntactic normalization.

In both cases, these are stated as RDF conditions, so hold in all
semantic extensions which apply to the lang tag literal syntax.  The
conditions on datatypes are stated so that the lexical form to which
the datatype mapping is applied consists of the literal string, and
does not include the lang tag (in non-XML literals). This is in line
with the above rules, of course.

The case of lang tags in XML typed literals is covered by other rules
and conditions. This is somewhat more complicated and may still be
modified. I presume that your comment was not intended to apply to
this case as the last call document covered this case (inadequately,
but that was a different question which is still being addressed.)

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam