Re: SpecGL problems/issues for telcon 28 Oct

Here are some comments on the 10/25 SpecGL issues (and "@@@" flags)...

At 11:18 AM 10/25/02 -0400, you wrote:
>The following are a list of the problems/issues identified in the latest
>version of SpecGL http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/2002/10/qaframe-spec-20021025
>and marked by @@@.   I've indicated the items I think are the highest
>priority.  Unless someone suggests indicates a preference/priority, my
>intention is to address the ** in order
>
>SpecGL problems/issues
>
>** indicates priority.
>* indicates we can deal with this quickly
>
>*G 1:  explanation and clean-up of sentence on use cases (editorial)

The parenthetical "(specification)" is an indication of uncertainty about
how the generic "use cases" definition was adapted to SpecGL.  The original
word "system" came from some (???) definition.  What is the "system in this
context?

>   1.3:   make the statement stronger.  Currently requires only 1 example

I think it should be made stronger, but don't know how to do it.  Some time
we said, "example per major feature", but the latter could be tricky to
define.  "at least 1 example" is pretty feeble.

1.4:  "definition of 'formal description' needed" -- is someone already
assigned to do this?

>  *2.2:  move discussion on class of product to ET

This is one of those "negative disclaimer" sorts of statements.  If we can
clarify what we mean a little better, then I think it is more useful here
than in ET.  Can we clarify?  Does it mean, "[what is in scope and] what is
out of scope of the conformance requirements?".  What it now says is, "it
may be appropriate to specify that which is not a requirement", which I
don't understand.  Can someone give an example?

>   *2.2    reword CP or its TA

No opinion on the specific question.

But ... do we really mean to limit it to "the Introductory section"?  I
agree that it might want to be up front.  At least, it would be better to
say "in an introductory section".  (Would the spec fail this CP if the
authors put it in their "Scope & goals" section, which seems a reasonable
place?  Or in their "Conformance" chapter?).

>** 3.1  TOC for profiles
>3.3     do we need a rationale or write a better one

See threads:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Oct/0127.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/2002Oct/0021.html

3.3 "@@@so?"...  Currently the rationale is "a profile places requirements
on each class of product that is affected by the profile's definition".  I
agree that it's a bad rationale.  But I have another problem.  The
statement of the CP is in terms of "must define minimal required
support/features for each class of product".  What does "minimal required
support/features" mean, and how would it differ from "complete set of
conformance requirements", and which one do we really want?

>**3.5  what is meant by 'testable rule' 'clash'

@@@ what is a testable rule:  "rules" could probably be replaced by
"requirements", or (better, I think) defined in terms of requirements (the
objects being profiles themselves).  Then ... we have a definition of
"testable requirement" that arose in our friendly discussion of "testable
specification" (Tokyo, and see issue #81)

>**6.2  rationale for CP on strict conformance
>**6.3  rationale

See threads:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Oct/0128.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Oct/0130.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Oct/0131.html

Clash:  contradict, redefine, ... (add a few more bad things, if you can
think of them).

See thread:  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Oct/0117.html