Re: Spec Guidelines: product classification and spec. modularity

This brings up an important point - that is, as we write the Framework
documents, we need to be careful regarding the terminology we use and that
we explain/define the terms.

Specifically, in the Spec guideline -  class of products' is used to refer
to the types of implementations of a specification (at the highest level)
--- in WebCGM this would be generators, the metafile, interpreters; for the
UAAG this would be user agents.
As for modularity - there are several ideas here.
1. a specification often depends on other specifications or parts of other
specifications. For example, requiring a player that conforms to the
current specification to support CSS, DOM and be capable of 'playing' all
compliant XHTML content.
2.    an implementation of a specification may be comprised of several
components.  Some of these components may be required in order to have a
conforming implementation of the current specification.  For example: SMIL
has modules and requires specific modules be present to claim conformance
as well as some modules are dependent on other modules (e.g., SyncMaster
module requires the SyncBehavior module)

The Spec guideline should not require #1 or #2 above, nor should it require
specific components/modules. However, the Spec guideline should recognize
that there are specifications that do this, and in those cases a
Guide/ckpoint can help to ensure that appropriate steps are taken to fully
specify what needs to be specified (e.g., make normative reference to
specifications on which the current spec depends, are there modules that
are required to claim conformance)

--lynne