Re: My opinion on new policy

Everything is rather simple in real life.
Standard endorsed by W3C is one to most likely
be accepted by Internet community and become
significant part of infrastructure. Nothing else
really matters at this point in time. This is
THE reason why W3C is so important to Internet
development today.
If original standard developer and patent holder
doesn't have incentive to make use of standard
royaltee-free, he most likely won't. W3C was one
of most significant such incentives.
Non-royalty-free standard will not be supported by
Open Source community. In the long run it means
that importance of W3C endorsement on standards
will diminish significantly, which in turn will hurt
both Open Source development role in Internet growth,
thus hurting Internet in general.
Large corporations are currently putting all their might
into overtaking the internet, and are right in doing so:
Internet is probably only place, where people still can
exercise free speech. Shutting down this "free ideas outlet"
United States of Corporate America (or should I say
United Corporations of the World?) will be able to get
control over poeple's brain given by Radio and TV back,
and keep making whatever they want of them.
And getting control of Internet standards development is a first
step.

All of above sounds like pretentious prophesying, but
I think there is some logic behind it all, and I would
carefully consider, before discarding the idea :)
	Ilya.