Re: Incorporating proprietary formats in any recommendation is a BAD idea!

Bruce Heerssen wrote:
>The problem with incorporating proprietary technologies in official
>standards (W3C or otherwise), as I see it, is that governments often
>rely on direction from an applicable standards body.

This is not idle speculation.  For example, the US Department of Defense
relies on W3C and mandates the use of the HTML-4.01, XML-1.0, and the
PNG graphics format, and includes several other W3C documents in its
"emerging standards" list.

See for example paragraphs 2.2.2.1.4.1 and 2.2.2.1.4.2 of JTA 4.0 at
http://www-jta.itsi.disa.mil

Glenn