Re: MathML-Core meeting, Monday Nov 29, 2021

Following the MathML-Core meeting, I was thinking some more about the math
variant issue.   Neil made an excellent point that it is the MathML markup
that determines the meaning.

I agree and would take it further, suggesting that we have been looking at
the question backwards.   Rather than ask "Is it permissible to have a
variant of a character with no corresponding Unicode point, e.g.
math-variant bold italic of a digit?" we should instead say that a raw
Unicode math-variant character is equivalent to  a MathML math variant.
 Then the question is only how to render MathML math variants.

So logically, we could say we map Unicode into MathML, not MathML into
unicode -- that is the main point.

This allows MathML to make up any other variants it wishes, with its own
rendering rules.   As a silly example, we could have the "upside-down" math
variant for which it could be argued we have a few particular points in
unicode (e.g. for all ∀, there exists ∃, co-product ∐, mho ℧, and even an
inverted factorial ¡).

Stephen