From: Will Robertson <wspr81@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 6:40 AM
To: Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>
Cc: davidc@nag.co.uk; www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Unicode 14

Dear Murray,

Great to hear from you.

On 26 Jun 2021, at 2:09 pm, Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com<mailto:murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>> wrote:

We only targeted math-script styles of A-Z in this effort (see 20275r-math-calligraphic.pdf (unicode.org<https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Funicode.org%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cmurrays%40exchange.microsoft.com%7Cb232c5dcecf54ccb126d08d938a7e129%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C0%7C0%7C637603116704083911%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=6CW99qDCpzsj7KACkI3XrG5id4xkjquD11OU7%2FbDtB0%3D&reserved=0>)). That was tricky in its own right due to differing current usage of the math-script characters. Adding sans-serif normal weight Greek letters has different considerations and can be a separate proposal.

I can certainly appreciate that, and I definitely agree the two proposals are better considered separately.

What is the best way forwards on the Greek sans serif front? Would it be helpful for me to write some kind of broad summary of the issues currently and the benefits to adding the new blocks?

For what it is worth. as well as the logical reasons for including these blocks and that (La)TeX has always had (some) sans Greek glyphs available, after many queries with my colleagues I finally stumbled upon extant evidence of sans serif Greek in literature:

[cid:image001.jpg@01D76A9F.87165110]

Courant, R.; Hilbert, D. (1953), Methods of mathematical physics, I, New York, N.Y.: Interscience Publishers, Inc., ISBN 0-471-50447-5, MR 0065391

Best regards,
Will Robertson