Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

To me, it seems like there are two issues that should be disentangled about
what MathML in HTML5 looks like:  the "linearization" and what ends up in
the DOM.

As a content producer, whether a programmer producing it or as a hand
author, what I care about is the linearization.  I don't care about the DOM
-- in fact, the MathML may never be used in a web page.  For this, I need a
document that tells me what I should write.

As someone who renders MathML in a browser or as a programmer who wants to
query or manipulate the MathML in a browser, I care about the DOM.  I don't
care about the linearization -- in fact, the math may have been created by
programmatically manipulating the DOM and never had a linearization.

I know that I speak for the MathML WG when I state that interoperability of
MathML is extremely important.  Because MathML is used in many contexts
outside of browsers, the linearization and its interoperability is crucial.
This is why I and the MathML WG feel that having a single published syntax
for MathML is important.

In XHTML and many other contexts (eg, a publisher who gets a document with
MathML in it), adherence to a strict DTD or schema is an important step in
validating the input.  In these contexts, "repairing" the linearization to
produce a DOM is inappropriate.  This is where HTML 5 differs from the other
contexts in which MathML must live. I think it is also where we seemingly
are at odds, but perhaps we are just confusing the syntax and repair.

HTML5 needs to specify what happens when presented with an arbitrary
sequence of characters that follows "<math", or maybe some even more
complicated set of conditions (eg, "xxx </math>" or even <mfrac> a b
</mfrac>").  Leaving aside when repair kicks in, I think it is important to
distinguish between what authors are told is legal and what repair mechanism
is used.  I think this goes to the heart of the disagreements about syntax
on this list.  If everyone agreed that MathML, as presented in the W3C spec
is the math syntax to use and tell people to use, then the question becomes
how does one fix up illegal syntax.  The semantic difference that I think is
important is that applications that generate MathML and people who directly
write math use MathML as per the W3C spec; browser implementors read some
specification as to how to map illegal MathML into some legal MathML DOM.

>From this point of view, I don't think you'll see a strenuous objection from
David or myself as to what is legal for repair.  The question then turns
into what are the set of priorities for repair.

David suggested one extreme, which is to wrap the math with an
"merror/mtext" and alert the user to the problem so they can determine a
proper fix.  MathPlayer in IE does something like this and I have found it
extremely useful when I have hand authored/tweaked something.

I think Ian and a few others feel that an implementation should go to much
greater lengths to fix up at least some "errors" and should do lexical
analysis and parsing so that  "<math> 2x+y=3 </math>" turns into MathML.
I'm not sure how far they would go, since producing "proper" MathML would
mean such a parser would need to infer the invisible multiplication operator
between the 2 and x and would put mrows around the "2x" and "2x+1" -- that
requires building in knowledge of the precedence and associativity of all of
the Unicode characters.

Is my proposal of dividing the issue into syntax and repair acceptable to
Ian and others?  If so, do you (all) agree that MathML's linearization as
specified in the MathML spec the syntax to use, or is there some other
proposal for what is the "base" syntax for math?

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of Equation Editor, MathType, MathPlayer and MathFlow ~