Re: [css-writing-modes] Does not mention "auto" for the "direction" property

> Yes. "auto" is computed to either LTR or RTL at the HTML so that
> the result can be selected by the :dir() selectors.

I'd say this means that the :dir() selectors should only recognize
ltr | rtl... But why does this also affect the "direction"
property (which :dir() selectors even won't consider, I think).

=======

CSS specs, concepts, and of course actual styling with CSS are used
in other (than HTML) technologies, with any XML markup. For example,
in SVG.

SVG2 spec (draft)
  https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/text.html#DirectionProperty
says explicitly " please take special care to ensure this
agrees with CSS3 Writing modes ".

Considering that "auto" is not supported by CSS, it seems to me
that SVG has no means (consistent with the standards it strives
to follow) to specify it using markup too.

- Lina