Re: [css-writing-modes] Does not mention "auto" for the "direction" property

On 09/22/2016 01:49 PM, Lina Kemmel wrote:
>> Yes. "auto" is computed to either LTR or RTL at the HTML so that
>> the result can be selected by the :dir() selectors.
>
> I'd say this means that the :dir() selectors should only recognize
> ltr | rtl... But why does this also affect the "direction"
> property (which :dir() selectors even won't consider, I think).

Because selectors cannot depend on the computed value of a property:
   :dir(rtl) { direction: ltr; } /* This is clearly unresolvable. */

> CSS specs, concepts, and of course actual styling with CSS are used
> in other (than HTML) technologies, with any XML markup. For example,
> in SVG.

Sure

> Considering that "auto" is not supported by CSS, it seems to me
> that SVG has no means (consistent with the standards it strives
> to follow) to specify it using markup too.

As the spec says, 'direction' should never have been part of CSS.
It is not a replacement for having a markup-based 'dir' attribute.
If you need a 'dir' attribute, you should have a 'dir' attribute.

~fantasai