W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2015

[minutes] Internationalization WG telecon 2015-11-19

From: <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 16:24:01 +0000
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <564DF7A1.3040003@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2015/11/19-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

19 Nov 2015

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Nov/0017.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/19-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Steve, JcK, felix(for_first_30_minutes), koji

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda?
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar and Project Review
          5. [9]Encoding and Encoding Tests
          6. [10]WebVTT Status
          7. [11]presentation-api
          8. [12]CharMod
          9. [13]AOB?
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      * [15]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda?

Action Items

    <r12a> [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-455?

    <trackbot> action-455 -- Addison Phillips to Respond to
    fantasai saying we'll send style info along by next week -- due
    2015-07-30 -- CLOSED

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/455

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/455

    action-445?

    <trackbot> action-445 -- Addison Phillips to Check out using a
    subsetting web font for example chars -- due 2015-06-11 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/445

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/445

    close action-445

    <trackbot> Closed action-445.

    action-461?

    <trackbot> action-461 -- Richard Ishida to Re-read issue-80 and
    evaluate whether to reopen as a github issue or not -- due
    2015-09-10 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/461

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/461

    action-476?

    <trackbot> action-476 -- Addison Phillips to Write back to
    media capture saying that we'll continue to work on problem but
    they can publish in the meantime -- due 2015-10-22 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/476

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/476

    close action-476

    <trackbot> Closed action-476.

    close action-480

    <trackbot> Closed action-480.

    close action-481

    <trackbot> Closed action-481.

Info Share

Radar and Project Review

    [21]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    [22]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    split out Tibetan LR

    <r12a> [23]http://w3c.github.io/tlreq/

      [23] http://w3c.github.io/tlreq/

    richard: rewritten that document
    ... waiting for a chinese translation
    ... can do fwpd then

    ruchard: ruby
    ... there's some discussion between implementers and anne vk
    ... implementation of items such as rb and rbc
    ... vary across browsers
    ... whatwg didn't help that much
    ... convergence on html5 definition
    ... sufficient convergence for webvtt?

    richard: bidi
    ... continuing to talk to implementers about @dir isolation
    ... talked to msft
    ... talked to miles from safari
    ... koji says chrome will implement if tests exist and other
    browsers do
    ... just submitted some tests to the ttwf suite
    ... anyone to review?
    ... key item is that bidi expert needed to review

    addison: was that your email to winter?

    richard: yes
    ... some tests for rli control and its friends
    ... anyyone could do it
    ... look up how reviews are done?

    IDN

    richard: wiating for david to suggest repo name

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: follow up with David S. to get name
    for repo and set up said repo [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/19-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-482 - Follow up with david s. to get
    name for repo and set up said repo [on Richard Ishida - due
    2015-11-26].

Encoding and Encoding Tests

    [25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015N
    ov/0014.html

      [25] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Nov/0014.html

    richard: created a whole bunch more tests

    <r12a>
    [26]http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/encoding
    -dbl-byte

      [26] 
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/encoding-dbl-byte

    richard: see above
    ... big5, euc-jp, euc-kr
    ... results
    ... two more to do
    ... ISO-2022
    ... and gb18030
    ... 18030 has a gbk flag
    ... just write two tests??
    ... have tests for encoding/decoding that test the repertoires
    ... what became clear to me was "big5" wasn't what was formally
    defined
    ... only those codepoints handled by web browsers
    ... are some big differences
    ... japanese euc
    ... can only encode half of the characters you can decode

    jis 0208 and jis 0212

    scribe: a "good first step" to get browsers doing the same
    thing

    richard: need tests to tests for what happens when things go
    wrong

    jck: kermit did this awhile ago... doyou know frank dacruz

    talk about encoding spec in two weeks

WebVTT Status

    richard: went through the issues
    ... at tpac with simon
    ... and again this week
    ... here's the link

    <r12a>
    [27]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/openissues/#webvtt1

      [27] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/openissues/#webvtt1

    richard: pulled in some (t) issues that they came up with
    ... and the (c) issues I think we can close

    <r12a> [28]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/436

      [28] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/436

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: review close marked webvtt issues and
    close if satisfied [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/19-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-483 - Review close marked webvtt
    issues and close if satisfied [on Addison Phillips - due
    2015-11-26].

    richard: discussion of ruby model incomplete
    ... rb wanted?
    ... simon mentioned that whatwg doesn't have it
    ... had a look and don't think it's an issue for rb
    ... understand not doing rtc or rbrbrbrtrtrt model

    addison: I agree with pushing back

presentation-api

    <r12a> [30]https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/issues/218

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/issues/218

    richard: some concern because different encodings
    ... might look weird
    ... problem might be ideographic characters across languages
    ... talked last week, wrote back
    ... not ideal presentation
    ... associate language with content when sent
    ... and that can be used to present
    ... another person said use accept-language
    ... but that's really just for saying what you prefer
    ... not a mechanism for addressing font selection and such
    ... wrong tool for the job

    addison: it's a lot more work to do language negotation using
    a-l and such
    ... when what we're really doing is allowing a device to send
    the language for a given string
    ... so that it can be displayed as intended
    ... that's really much simpler

CharMod

    addison: closed almost all open issues
    ... take a look

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: review close marked webvtt issues and
    close if satisfied [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/19-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: follow up with David S. to get name for
    repo and set up said repo [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/19-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 19 November 2015 16:24:16 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:09 UTC