[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-07-09


text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

09 Jul 2015



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/07/09-i18n-irc


           Addison, Steve, Richard, JcK, David, Najib-ma, koji

           Felix, Dennis

           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]Notifications.lang and Notifications.dir
          6. [10]Mediacapture item resolution
          7. [11]Bidi Plain Text
          8. [12]vertical text
          9. [13]AOB?
      * [14]Summary of Action Items


Action Items


    <trackbot> action-113 -- Richard Ishida to Work on tidying up
    Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming
    couple of months -- due 2015-02-05 -- OPEN


      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/113

    richard: just pubish it, after removing stubs?

    close action-113

    <trackbot> Closed action-113.

    <scribe> ACTION:richard: publish updated version of Additional
    Requirements for Bidi in HTML and CSS [recorded in


    <trackbot> action-451 -- Addison Phillips to Respond on csvw
    issue 617 officially explaining that the wg believes that
    cldr's values and data structures are needed -- due 2015-07-09
    -- OPEN


      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/451

    close action-451

    <trackbot> Closed action-451.

Info Share

    richard: TPAC registration open
    ... if going, please register
    ... please add host key to agenda

    addison: will do



RADAR and Active Work Review

    steve: create me a tracker for vehicle information?

    addison: will do

    richard: csv now passed
    ... have their CR call

    addison: we got consensus on their issues, though, right?

    richard: think so


      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    richard: mongolian discussion taking place
    ... in depth talk about NNBSP and MVS
    ... spoke to PLH last week
    ... okay to go ahead with Arabic Layout Requirements and
    Ethiopic Layout Requirements chartering
    ... spent time merging chinese and english versions of clreq
    ... much easier to manage them as a single document
    ... just a few more additional translation
    ... and a couple of text issues
    ... then FPWD

    addison: next week-ish?

    richard: hope so, but depends on translators
    ... PLH recommends doing more publicity around layout
    ... such as making a page about it
    ... published update to klreq (last week)

    addison: hoping for additional script information for indic

    richard: hope to see 4 more scripts, next week-ish?
    ... firefox releasing vertical into mainstream?
    ... but koji and fantasai discussing different way of handling
    ... to cater to latin languages

    addison: like german titles on book spine?

    richard: yes, or in a table, that sort of thing

    addison: hope they don't change the current model


      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/articles/vertical-text/

    richard: also updated the article (link above)
    ... separated proprietary stuff
    ... "this is how you're supposed to achieve it"
    ... with a "this is how to actually achieve in different
    ... subtle difference
    ... but worthwhile
    ... bidi: no implementations so far on @dir
    ... worth chasing implementers?

    <JcK> Thanks for adding docs to tracker -- I'm unlikely to have
    time to track that WG closely.

    <JcK> And I have no idea what is going on with Webex, much less
    why it is a good idea.

Notifications.lang and Notifications.dir



    richard: argued that it should be in spec so that it might
    work; can't work if not present

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: respond to Notifications about .lang
    and .dir email [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-452 - Respond to notifications about
    .lang and .dir email [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-07-16].

Mediacapture item resolution




    <trackbot> issue-465 -- Human readable message not localizable?
    -- open

    <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/465

      [24] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/465

    addison: will send any comments to the list, if you see
    something, do the same

Bidi Plain Text


      [25] http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html

    richard: this is an attempt to step back
    ... when we reviewed CSV
    ... inquiries about json, webvtt
    ... maybe notifications
    ... lots of plain text format not containing html/xml markup
    ... need guidelines for how to represent direction
    ... article is not in w3c site because personal thoughts so far
    ... make a kind of "tutorial" for what's needed
    ... and why
    ... sections at end about webvtt and csv
    ... would quite like feedback
    ... some from mati and najib
    ... looking for comments, on right track, things missing, etc

    najib: sent email about plain text
    ... json or csv are not like normal text
    ... could be considered different
    ... could be read or edited
    ... in logical order rather than visual order
    ... make bidi disabled you can edit easily

    richard: how often do you find editors that can disable bidi?
    ... you're able to disable bidi. is that something people do

    najib: specific editors don't have bidi

    richard: do many people use editors without bidi support?

    najib: most don't use source file editors, use visual order
    ... not many edit source text

    <JcK> @Richard: slightly different answer: there are a lot of
    editors out there that do have bibi support but whose support
    falls far short of our or UTC's standards

    najib: most in my region who produce bidi text choose like
    wordpress to produce content



    richard: what about the json problem?

    addison: see above link: started this in tandem with yours,
    much rougher

    richard: include in my article?

    addison: welcome to

vertical text

    koji: so proposal from self and fantasai
    ... basic problemm is sideways-left
    ... author and technical problems
    ... detail in fantasai's email
    ... haven't talked about this week
    ... adding values to simplify latin usage
    ... removing text-orientation: sideways-left
    ... and addingt two value s to writing-mode
    ... just need to change writing mode
    ... only some cjk users need text-orentation
    ... hope it simplifies authoring
    ... hope ff can pick it up

    richard: do you know if vertical text will support horizontal
    text in vertical (tate-chu-yoko) in FF?

    koji: good question
    ... don't know if still trying to
    ... or if going to next milestone
    ... likely to be minimal
    ... still improving it

    richard: what currently works will still work?
    ... in production version?

    <r12a> [27]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1138384

      [27] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1138384

    koji: not in nightly yet, want to be in stable
    ... maybe not
    ... some things don't work (like tables)
    ... make basic tables work
    ... not sure if in release or not



      [28] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Releases/41#CSS

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: respond to Notifications about .lang and
    .dir email [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish updated version of Additional
    Requirements for Bidi in HTML and CSS [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Received on Friday, 17 July 2015 16:38:40 UTC