Hyphenation and language

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:55:10 +0000
To: public-digipub@w3.org, www International <www-international@w3.org>
fwiw, I just read a nice paragraph in Robert Bringhurst's Elements of
Typographic Style that provides nice examples for

4.1.2 Choosing hyphenation points
4.1.2.1 Language
http://www.w3.org/TR/dpub-latinreq/#language

"In English we hyphenate cab-ri-o-let but in French ca-brio-let. The old
German rule which hyphentaed Glockenspiel as Glok-kenspiel was changed
by law in 1998, but when össze is broken in Hungarian, it still turns
into ösz-sze. In Spanish the double consonants ll and rr are never
divided. (The only permissible hyphenation in the phrease arroz con
pollo is thus arroz con po-llo.) The conventions of each language are a
part of its typographic heritage and should normally be followed, even
when setting single foreign words or brief quotations."

ri