Re: i18n-ISSUE-475: Do Unicode Strings get normalized when placed into RDF

These changes satisfy ISSUE-475.

Steven Atkin, Ph.D.
STSM - Chief Globalization Architect
IBM Globalization Center of Competency
atkin@us.ibm.com
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/globalization/index.jsp

From:	Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
To:	www-international@w3.org, Steven Atkin/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:	public-csv-wg@w3.org
Date:	06/10/2015 09:52 AM
Subject:	Re: i18n-ISSUE-475: Do Unicode Strings get normalized when
            placed into RDF

Hi Steven,

Thank you for raising this issue which we turned into
https://github.com/w3c/csvw/issues/577

We have added text in the definition of the tabular data model (
http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/#model) to make it clear that all string
values it contains are Unicode strings:

  String values within the tabular data model (such as column titles or
cell string values)
  MUST contain only Unicode characters.

We have also added text in step 5 of the non-normative parsing algorithm
for CSV at http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/#parsing which describes how to
create a model from CSV and now says:

5. Read the file using the encoding, as specified in [encoding], using the
replacement
   error mode. If the encoding is not a Unicode encoding, use a normalizing
transcoder
   to normalize into Unicode Normal Form C as defined in [UAX15].

   NOTE

   The replacement error mode ensures that any non-Unicode characters
within the CSV
   file are replaced by U+FFFD, ensuring that strings within the tabular
data model
   such as column titles and cell string values only contain valid Unicode
characters.

We are in the process (https://github.com/w3c/csvw/pull/601) of adding text
to the RDF conversion document which will say:

   The [tabular-data-model] specifies that string values within tabular
data (such as
   column titles or cell string values) must contain only Unicode
characters. No Unicode
   normalization (as specified in [UAX15]) is applied to these string
values during the
   conversion to RDF.

   NOTE

   If a CSV file is originally encoded as UTF-8, it should not go through
Unicode
   normalization during parsing, nor in conversion to RDF. This can result
in RDF literals
   that are not in Normal Form C as they should be according to
[rdf11-concepts].

Please can you confirm that these changes satisfy this comment?

Thanks,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison
http://www.jenitennison.com/

On 1 June 2015 at 17:47:18, Steven Atkin (atkin@us.ibm.com) wrote:

> 4.3 Interpreting datatypes
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-csv2rdf-20150416/#datatypes
>
> When strings are parsed from the CSV data are they first normalized
before
> being mapped to the xsd:string datatype? For example, are the strings
> normalized into Unicode Normal Form C.
>
> It is recommended that text not be normalized if it is already in a
Unicode