[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-05-14

[resending with correct subject line]


text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

14 May 2015



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/14-i18n-irc


           +1.813.410.aaaa, aphillip, Steve_Atkin, Richard,
           +1.408.536.aabb, Leandro, JcK, David

           Addison Phillips



      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]Process Change for Working Group
          6. [10]organizing layout information
          7. [11]Review pending comments
          8. [12]Character Model
          9. [13]AOB?
      * [14]Summary of Action Items


Action Items


      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-440 -- Richard Ishida to Follow up with
    daniel about ethiopic information -- due 2015-05-14 -- OPEN


      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/440

    close action-440

    <trackbot> Closed action-440.

    richard: did this, waiting for a response from him


    <trackbot> action-441 -- Richard Ishida to Write back to
    fantasai/csswg and propose a way to organize layout information
    -- due 2015-05-14 -- OPEN


      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/441

    richard: did chat with fantasai, need to type up results

    close action-441

    <trackbot> Closed action-441.

Info Share

RADAR and Active Work Review


      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar


      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    richard: put "rangefinder" into radar?

    addison: will do

    richard: adding some of your guidelines to document, will post
    ... just throwing them in, not "carefully crafting"
    ... "you have been warned"
    ... counter styles: plan to change hebrew
    ... css will reissue and we'll need to track
    ... some updating on articless
    ... use of <b> and <i>
    ... syncing text quotes from html5 to the document
    ... message remains the same

Process Change for Working Group

    <r12a> [20]http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/#last-call

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/#last-call

    addison: proposal to change this WG to the 2014 process

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: remind working group to read new
    process document for adoption voting at next week's
    teleconference [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-442 - Remind working group to read
    new process document for adoption voting at next week's
    teleconference [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-05-21].

organizing layout information

    richard: fantasai from css
    ... asked if we can warehouse information about non-latin
    ... specifically justification rules
    ... how this or that script does it
    ... sounds reasonable
    ... doing this in layout requirements
    ... other information outside layout reqs tho
    ... could make small documents for other scripts
    ... but when you get lots and lots of documents it gets harder
    to maintain/keep track of
    ... thing to point to might be wiki

    <r12a> [22]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Typography

      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Typography

    richard: above wiki page points to different requirements and
    spec descriptions and tests and such
    ... also external information as well
    ... for latin and non-latin
    ... ideas for how to move forward?
    ... possibility of getting an ethiopic layout requirements

    addison: desire for an arabic script document

    richard: was approached at IUC about possibility, might get
    back to that

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: contact interested parties about
    starting an Arabic script layout task force [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-443 - Contact interested parties
    about starting an arabic script layout task force [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2015-05-21].

    richard: if you know about information about non-latin script,
    please send links

Review pending comments

    Media Capture and Streams


      [24] https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/78


    <trackbot> issue-464 -- 'label' needs direction and language
    metadata ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/464

      [25] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/464


    <trackbot> issue-465 -- Human readable message not localizable?
    ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [26]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/465

      [26] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/465

    Generating JSON from tabular data


      [27] https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/79


    <trackbot> issue-466 -- Can JSON data be generated from non
    UTF-8 encoded CSV data ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [28]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/466

      [28] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/466

    steve: no mention if csv has to be encoded in utf-8
    ... model allows legacy encodings

    addison: implicit conversion
    ... not even Encoding spec, since they support *any* encoding

    richard: should have health warning about conversion

    steve: "be explicit"


    <trackbot> issue-467 -- What are the rules for string equality
    when column names are matched with annotations ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/467

      [29] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/467

    steve: can have names in columns
    ... what are the rules for identifier equality?
    ... no statement
    ... normailized or not?


    <trackbot> issue-468 -- Do Unicode Strings get normalized when
    placed into JSON data ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [30]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/468

      [30] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/468

    steve: when generating json data, are they normalizing?
    ... no mention
    ... NFC required? or implementation detail?

    addison: 1. use a normalizing transcoder
    ... 2. don't normalize text already in a unicode encoding

    steve: will propose text
    ... probably all of this appliable to the RDF spec too

    Web payments use cases

    richard: sent an email out



    richard: items I found were not specifically i18n
    ... will send these along

Character Model


      [32] http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/



    addison: reorder sections





    addison: will post changes this week


Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: remind working group to read new process
    document for adoption voting at next week's teleconference
    [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: contact interested parties about
    starting an Arabic script layout task force [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 14 May 2015 16:31:37 UTC