Re: For review: The byte-order mark (BOM) in HTML

The text says

          What is a byte-order mark?
          <http://www.w3.org/International/questions/new/qa-byte-order-mark-new.en.php#bomwhat>

    At the beginning of a page that uses a Unicode
    <http://www.w3.org/International/articles/definitions-characters/Overview#unicode>
    character encoding
    <http://www.w3.org/International/articles/definitions-characters/Overview#charsets>
    you may find some bytes that represent the Unicode code point U+FEFF
    ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE (ZWNBSP). This combination of bytes is
    known as a byte-order mark (BOM).

    The BOM, when correctly used, is invisible.

For a while now, there's been a formal name alias defined for the Byte
order mark, Actually two, if you count the abbreviation. (See:
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NameAliases.txt)

FEFF;BYTE ORDER MARK;alternate
FEFF;BOM;abbreviation

Section 4.8 of the Unicode Standard explains that these aliases are
designed (like the original character names) to be used as identifiers
(e.g. in specifications, regular expressions etc.).

With the introduction of U+2060 WORD JOINER, there's no longer a need to
ever use FEFF for its ZWNSP effect, so from that point on, and with the
availability of a formal alias, the name ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE just
represents baggage.

I recommend that the original name, if mentioned, be relegated to the
status of a historical footnote.

A./