Re: Draft for review: Personal names around the world

On 02/08/2011 21:07, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akan_name is redirected to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akan_names. To prevent unnecessary
> redirects, you might link to the latter (if so, plural form also in
> @title).
>
> Accordingly:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_names to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_name
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_name to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_names
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_name to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_names
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_names to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_name
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_in_Russian_Empire%2C_Soviet_Union_and_CIS_countries
> to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Slavic_naming_customs
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_name to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_customs_of_Taiwanese_aborigines

Fixed.

> Typography:
> Replace ' - ' [space, hyphen, space] with ' – ' [space, en dash, space]
> (2 occurrences, AFAIS).

Fixed.

> When using mark elements, take the periods into their content, not after
> them, i.e. '.</mark>', not '</mark>.'.

I do that only if the whole sentence is marked.

> section Scenarios
> [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#scenarios]:
> Change 'localise' to 'localize' – even if it hurts. ;-)

Fixed. (Oddly, my spellchecker missed that.)

> section Different order of parts
> [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#partorder]:
> In '毛澤紅 (mao ze hong)' the midde ideograph '澤' is different from the
> middle ideographs in the other names. Is that intended? Is it a female
> vs. male form (not visible in Latin transcription) or is it traditional
> vs. simplified Chinese?

Just a mistake. Well spotted. Fixed.

> section Middle initials
> [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#middleinitial]:
>
> 'Americans' might read 'US-Americans'.
>
> section Inheritance of names
> [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#inheritance]:
> 'Pérez-Quiñones' is written with hyphen in one place, while all other
> Spanish apellidos are written without.

I removed the hyphen and added the following note:
"I have slightly changed Manuel's name here. In fact, he typically
spells his name with a hyphen (Pérez-Quiñones) to get around confusion
in the USA about how his name works.  Others may do this too."

> section Mixing it up
> [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#mixing]:
> You have used 'caste' in one scheme, 'casteName' in another scheme.

Fixed.

> In "Father-of-Karim, Muhammad (given name), The beautiful, Son of Nidal,
> Son of Abdulaziz, the Palestinian", 'Father-of-Karim' is hyphenated,
> while 'Son of Nidal' and 'Son of Abdulaziz' are not. I suggest to drop
> the hyphens.

Done.

> The scheme 'family-middle-given name' should read
> 'familyName-middleName-givenName'.

Done.

> section A note on sorting
> [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#sorting]:
> It’s first 'Maria-Jose', then 'Marie-Jose' (with e). Both should be
> 'María-Jose' (with accent), I think.

Fixed.

> section Formality and honorifics
> [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#formality]:
> 'not just Mr. Schmidt, but Herr Profesor Doktor Schmidt' looks kinda
> funny. Either 'Herr' (preferred) or 'Mr.', but both times the same, I’d
> say.
>
> 'Professor' should be spelled with double s.

Fixed.

Thanks again!
RI

--
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

Register for the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop!
Limerick, 21-22 September 2011
http://multilingualweb.eu/register