Re: New tests for web fonts

On Aug 25, 2008, at 5:42 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Safari 3.1.2: Armenian, perfect; all others yield blank space
> (although the reference text is rendered correctly for Hindi, Arabic
> and Urdu in the default browser font).

This problem is unique to Safari on Windows.   Safari on Mac can
handle complex scripts just fine.

Uniscribe requires an HFONT that represents the downloadable font in
order to render, but we could find no Windows API that would allow us
to privately install a downloadable font and obtain an HFONT from
it.   Windows has APIs for doing this for .EOT, but not for Truetype/
Opentype.

It's not clear to me how any browser is going to support Truetype/
Opentype downloadable fonts on Windows, but maybe the Mozilla guys
have found a technical solution.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)