Re: URIs and i18n

> I think you should register two domain names, one in native
> script and one in ascii only, if you want your URIs to be used
> internationally as well as by your home market/user base.

In the case of domain name registrations, please keep in mind that the
native script registration is stored inside domain name registry systems as
ASCII, and is shown in a user-unfriendly format with a prefix of <xn-->.

Registering two domain names, one in the native script and another in ascii
only is a useful trick; this will become an even more useful method when
domain names transform from <native script label>.<ascii domain> to <native
script label>.<native script domain> (otherwise called IDN TLDs).

Use of localized labels in email poses greater challenges, since automatic
downgrades to ascii are required when the original string is sent in a local
script.  That's a discussion for another day.

One of the biggest concerns is with script mixing, where ASCII and several
local scripts get intermingled in an IRI.  In my opinion, this is quite a
bad thing, leads to a great deal of user confusion and potential for
phishing - it's one of the biggest things that should be explicitly
restricted (a few languages exist where script mixing is required, but these
are finite and definable as exceptions).

-Ram