Re: For review: An Introduction to Multilingual Web Addresses

At 06:48 07/03/27, Michael Monaghan wrote:

>wrt http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-idn-display-1:
>
>Near the top it says:
>
>"Run each test twice. First with only en or en-US listed in the browser language preferences, and secondly with the following additional languages in the preferences: Russian, Japanese, German, Greek, Hindi, Armenian, Thai and 'am' (user defined code for Amharic)...."

Richard - "user defined code" may be highly misleading. "am" is not
a user defined code, it is defined by ISO 639. It is just not
selectable from the menu in IE, right? I hope you can clarify
this in the text.

>Also, did you see Najib's email of March 7? - He made the point that even for some 'supported' TLDs, Firefox displays Arabic & Hebrew domain names in punycode.
>Yet, if you mix some Latin characters with the Arabic [and possibly Hebrew] domain names, they render fine... peculiar.

Does such a mixture include labels that contain both Latin and RTL
characters, or are the scripts separated by dots? In the former
case, this would be even more peculiar, because such labels
(mixing RTL and LTR characters) are illegal in IDN.

Regards,    Martin.