Re: For review: An Introduction to Multilingual Web Addresses

Hi Richard,

Nice work on the docs.

Some comments.

wrt http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-idn-display-1:

Near the top it says:

"Run each test twice. First with only en or en-US listed in the browser language
preferences, and secondly with the following additional languages in the preferences:
Russian, Japanese, German, Greek, Hindi, Armenian, Thai and 'am' (user defined code for
Amharic)...."

This part only applies to IE - right? If so, then maybe that should be called out.

Also, did you see Najib's email of March 7? - He made the point that even for some
'supported' TLDs, Firefox displays Arabic & Hebrew domain names in punycode.
Yet, if you mix some Latin characters with the Arabic [and possibly Hebrew] domain names,
they render fine... peculiar.

Anyway, it would be useful to include some Arabic/Hebrew IDNs in the list of examples.

Thanks,

~mm

Richard Ishida wrote:
 > The edits continue...
 >
 > I have reworded the description of Firefox and Opera at
 > http://localhost/International/articles/idn-and-iri/#work
 > to reflect the results of the tests, and replaced the previous, incorrect sentence
which suggested that Firefox actually compares the list of characters defined by a TLD
against those in the IDN.