Re: Java I18N

On 31/10/06, Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Take a look at the _real_ definition of the language tags and xml:lang,
> which is RFC 4647.

I find it hard to keep up with the rate of change.
Thanks for the pointer.

 For a good intro, see:

>    http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/Overview.en.php
>
> RFC 4647 incorporates more than just the language and country codes into
> tags. One of the types of subtags is the "script" subtag. In your
> particular case, the script subtag "Brai" represents Braille.

language-script-region-variant-extension-privateuse
Wow.
That should cover it! I've never even heard of some of those referenced rfc's
and ISO 15924! I'll go do some more reading.

> You might very well tags English braille texts as "en-Brai". US variants
> would be "en-Brai-US". British variants would be "en-Brai-GB".

Would the Brai be necessary?
I'm unsure if it's necessary to be so accurate? I'm using
the lang and locale to pick out a braille table, which tends to be
locale specific. Is it recommended (BP) to include the Brai 'script'?

The Moon
> variation can be dealt with in two ways:
>
> 1. Private use code: "en-Brai-x-moon"
>
> 2. Registration with IANA (see RFC 4647) would allow it as a variant
> subtag, making either of these valid:

Since moon is so restricted (300 UK users) I doubt it's worthwhile
IANA registration, but I'll ask.
  Is the 'x' categorisation the same as for mime types? Sort of 'specials'?

>    en-Brai-moonw  // variants starting with a letter must be at least 5
> in length
>    en-Brai-GB-moonw

<chuckles/> Just about the opposite of cutting file names to fit
within the 8.3 limit!
5 characters minimum seems a little arbitrary?
Why make things uncecessarily long.

Many thanks Addison.

regards

--