Re: W3C MarkUp Area

Nigel Peck wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that the MarkUp area of the W3C site is
> inaccessible to IE6 on PC.

I can confirm this.

> it's tries to download it rather than view it, I'm guessing this is
> because it's being served as application/xhtml+xml as previously
> discussed?
>
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

This site obviously uses Apache's content negotiation feature to
negotiate between two variants, Overview.xhtml and Overview.html. The
problem is that IE's "Accept:" header does not explicitly mention
"text/html". Thus, Apache selects Overview.xhtml according to
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html>, because it's
the variant with the smallest content length. However, it's easy to
change Apache's behaviour by using directives like

  Options +MultiViews
  AddType text/html;charset=utf-8 .html
  AddType application/xhtml+xml;utf-8;qs=0.999 .xhtml

in the .htaccess file. Alternatively, a type map can be used.

Who is the right person to contact on this issue?

--
<http://schneegans.de/>