Re: Most compatible, non-stupid ways to style text

At 3:57 PM -0700 30/4/00, Charles Wiltgen wrote:
>I'm getting pretty bad results on pre-CSS browsers, and it also looks like I
>need different style sheets for CSS-savvy browsers in order to get similar
>text sizes (for example, I'd like to have a pre-IE5/Mac style sheet and
>a IE5+/Mac style sheet, among others).
>--
>Charles Wiltgen

Our target audience is any 4.0 browser or better.  Due to the
different font sizes and screen resolutions in use across the web,
our solution was to sniff for the combination (browser, version and
OS) and deliver a CSS file for that platform.

The downside is you need to add a CSS file for each major browser
that arrives on the market, but the upside is you can tweak the look
of your site specifically for each environment. If you're after a
consistent look and feel this is one approach, and better than
maintaining different sites for different browsers.

At the time, it was a hard decision for us to "render blandly" for
pre-CSS browsers.  Luckly our audience are web people who most likely
have a recent version.

	George

--
George Bray
LinkAlarm - Web Site Link Validation Service