Re: Row/Colgroups vs. Row/Colspanning

(A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)

In article <news:greg-1111990952500001@oshar.war-of-the-worlds.org>,
greg@apple2.com wrote:

:[snipped]

Did I stump ciwah?  I'll rephrase the question and add www-html as a
carbon-copy.  For convenience, the original question (which contains a
rather bizarre example table) as posted to ciwah can be retrieved either
with the above URI or with this long one:

<http://www.deja.com/msgid.xp?MID=%3Cgreg-1111990952500001%40oshar.war-of-the-worlds.org%3E&fmt=text>

Should ROWSPAN and COLSPAN attributes span across rowgroup (THEAD, TFOOT,
TBODY) and colgroup (COLGROUP) boundaries, or should they only span as far
as the edge of these groups?

I can't find anything in HTML 4.0 one way or the other, though HTML 4.01
lends credence to the latter with its modified behavior of ROWSPAN=0 and
COLSPAN=0 [1][2], but comes short of saying that non-zero values are
similarly constrained.  There's no mention of it in the section on
spanning[3] either.

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/tables.html#adef-rowspan>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/tables.html#adef-colspan>
[3] <http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6.1>