Re: A Proposal from the Disabled Access Community

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, James Shattuck wrote:

> possible implementation is as a search-part parameter name
> "where-it-says" such that an example URL would be:
>
> scheme://path.to.server/path/to/file.typ?where-it-says=I%20told%20you%20so

Interesting idea. I would think that something like
search="I%20told%20you%20so"> might  be appropriate (we already have
lang, target, name, title etc.)

I would think there may be some opposition from commercial interests, who
want you to go to the top of their page first to read the advertisents...
Perhaps the tag could merely preload the browser search buffer, so that
it requires only a few keystrokes to jump, instead of moving immediately
to the marked place.

All it really needs is for you to patch Lynx to include this behaviour,
then the Lynx community can start using the tag in their own work.
Mainstream Web use is going to ignore it, probably, as it has mostly
ignored title (in anchors), rel, rev, link etc..

Andrew Daviel