Re: <a footnote="proposal">

Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie> wrote:

>    REV = An "it is my" statement.
>    REL = An "I am its" statement.
>
> This is the precise opposite of how I have always seen REL and REV
> used, and seems to be semantically at variance with the "meaning"
> implied by RELated and REVerse-related. REV is in effect the reflexive
> form of REL.

Yes.  The rel-rev Internet Draft that Murray Maloney and I wrote defined
them as

   REL
      The REL attribute specifies the relationship of the target to
      the anchor.  For example, REL=NEXT is used to indicate that
      the target is the next logical document in an author-
      specified sequence.  The REL attribute can also be used to
      support  search for links serving particular relationships.
[...]

   REV
      The REV attribute specifies the relationship of the anchor to
      the target. For example, REV=TOP is used to indicate that the
      anchor is the top of an author-specified  hierarchical tree
      of which the target is a branch or node.

REL=FOOTNOTE might be appropriate for a link pointing to footnote.
Our paper wrote:

  FOOTNOTE
     The FOOTNOTE relationship identifies a footnote.

     When REL=FOOTNOTE is specified on an A element, the anchor is a
     footnote marker and the target is a footnote. This can be used
     to link from the footnote marker (or a highlighted word,
     phrase, etc.) to an HTML document which contains the footnote
     text, or to a portion of the same document (see REV=FOOTNOTE).

     When REL=FOOTNOTE is specified on a LINK element, it can
     specify a hypertext link to a set of footnotes which are
     related to the current document, or to a set of end-notes.

     When REV=FOOTNOTE is specified on an A element, the anchor is a
     footnote; that is, the actual content of the footnote, as
     opposed to a footnote marker. In this case, the target
     specified by the HREF value, if any, is the footnote marker.

     It has been suggested that the combination of REV=FOOTNOTE and
     NAME=...  on an A element may be used to imply that the
     enclosed content not be rendered until a link to it is
     explicitly traversed, at which time it can be presented in a
     popup window. This would allow for the inclusion of footnote
     text within a document that would not be visible until the
     reader wanted it to be presented. Developers of user agents are
     free to experiment with  this proposed feature, but there is no
     requirement that it be implemented.

Lee