Re: HTML 3.2: SGML Document Access (SDA)

Daniel W. Connolly <connolly@beach.w3.org> writes:
>Murray Altheim <murray@spyglass.com> writes:
>>[...] Transformation from one SGML application to another can be
>>provided by transformation DTDs or through use of an SGML Link Process
>>Definition (LPD). There is a preliminary version of an HTML to ICADD LPD
>>written as part of a working draft of the modular HTML DTD at
>>
>>    http://www.stonehand.com/murray/modular.html
>>
>>specifically:
>>
>>    http://www.stonehand.com/dtd/html20m/sda.lpd
>
>Murray and I discussed this a bit during dicussions about modular
>HTML DTD stuff, and he was generous enough with his time to actually
>draft an LPD and test it out.

This is true, but I must caution that my tests were only conclusive insofar
as the syntax seems correct as per the ICADD DTD. Using available tools,
each HTML document must be modified by addition of some text in the
declaration subset to cause the ICADD transformation to occur. Obviously
this would not be a good general solution, but could be handled "behind the
scenes" in an ICADD-enabled browser without modifying the document. Having
no ICADD-enabled browser to work from, this was as far as I could go, so
I'm not convinced that the process works (or even did work in HTML 2.0).

>>If any members of ICADD wish to participate in this effort, please get in
>>touch with me and perhaps we can create up some type of working draft for
>>submission to the authors of the W3C draft.
>
>Please do. In fact, it seems to me that this could be a spec all
>by itself, and whoever submits it can claim authorship. I'll be
>sure the HTML ERB reviews it, but unless otherwise requested,
>I'll leave the authorship with the authors.

I've discussed this with Dave Raggett, but we'd really need some support
from ICADD. I have a contact that may be able to help. Anyone else with
contacts in the ICADD community is certainly welcome to contact me.

Murray

     Murray Altheim, Program Manager
     Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
     email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
     http:  <http://www.stonehand.com/murray/murray.html>
            "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."