Re: Font-style vs. phrase elements

On 5/20/96 at 9:49 AM , Benjamin Franz wrote:

>> >Any idea why FONT is neither a font element nor a phrase element,
>> >but instead grouped with "special" ?
>
>Probably because it is actaully used as pure presentation with no regard
>for logical levels at all. I have seen many docs with a FONT tag wrapped
>around the entire BODY content.

Remember that my question is about the HTML 3.2 *DTD*.
That DTD already prohibits using FONT in this manner:

<HEAD>
<TITLE><!-- your title here --></TITLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>
</BODY>

sgmls: SGML error at -, line 8 at ">":
       FONT end-tag implied by P start-tag; not minimizable
sgmls: SGML error at -, line 10 at ">":
       FONT end-tag ignored: doesn't end any open element (current is BODY)

Given this, I don't understand why "FONT" isn't classed
as a font element in the HTML 3.2 DTD.

--
Ron Newman             rnewman@cybercom.net
Web: http://www.cybercom.net/~rnewman/home.html