MATH

mau@beatles.cselt.stet.it (Maurizio Codogno) wrote:
>As for <MATH>, why don't we create at last a www-math mailing list, and
>develop a DTD and an Internet-Draft? I admit my near-total ignorance in
>SGML aspects, but I can give a hand if we decide to start with the math
>part of the defunct 3.0 ...
>
>.mau.

Good idea! I am also SGML illiterate, nor am I a computer scientist (anyone
guessed that I'm a mathematician yet?!). For my work I need a good reference
on html math that I *know* will be supported by a reasonably good browser in
the not-so-distant-future. I can easily spend some time on getting this
developed, and I can definitely donate the disk space/server effort etc. to
maintain some math/html pages.

Personally I'd prefer a newsgroup over a mailing list - is this so hard to
achieve? - I don't quite get the point of mailing lists whith this amount of
traffic.

Oblig. Math question:
Why the <math> - tag at all? I don't mean abolish it, but in some instances it
can be quite unnecessary and annoying:

  If <math> a &le; b </math> then ...

should be as valid as

  If a &le; b then ...

[  &le; is the symbol for 'less then or equal to' ie. '<='   ]

--
James Ø. Baum
MA104 Lineær Algebra Fjernundervisningsprosjektet -